Impacted canines - to extract or not?

Brzakov, Riste and Nikolovski, Bruno and Velkoski, Bojan and Minovska, Ana and Radojkova-Nikolovska, Vera (2018) Impacted canines - to extract or not? In: 23rd BaSS Congress, 10-12 May 2018, Iasi, Romania.

[img]
Preview
Text
riste.pdf

Download (376Kb) | Preview
[img] Slideshow
poster riste.pptx

Download (224Kb)

Abstract

Background: A canine that is prevented from erupting into a normal position, either by bone, tooth or fibrous tissue, can be described as impacted. Impacted maxillary canines are seen in about 3% of the population. The majority of impacted canines are palatal (85%), the remaining 15% are usually buccal. One of the biggest dangers is that they can cause resorption of the roots of the lateral or central incisors and this is seen in about 12% of the cases. Treatment options: Extraction of the impacted canine, transplantation, restoration with a dental implant or orthodontic treatment are the possible treatment plans which can help in restoring into intact dental arches with proper and unhindered movements. This article brings together the information that general dental practitioners need in order to diagnose and deal effectively with impacted teeth. As a conclusion we can recommend that if there are any doubts about impacted teeth it is better to refer too early than too late, this latter option may unnecessarily extend the length of treatment as well as the treatment required.

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Poster)
Subjects: Medical and Health Sciences > Health sciences
Medical and Health Sciences > Other medical sciences
Divisions: Faculty of Medical Science
Depositing User: Ana Minovska
Date Deposited: 06 Feb 2019 08:05
Last Modified: 06 Feb 2019 08:05
URI: http://eprints.ugd.edu.mk/id/eprint/21481

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item