Epidemiological characteristics of schizophrenia in Pelagonia region in the period 2012-2016

Sumanov, Gorgi and Gorgiovski, Darko and Panova, Gordana and Sumanovski, Lazar (2017) Epidemiological characteristics of schizophrenia in Pelagonia region in the period 2012-2016. Knowledge - International Journal, Scientific Papers, 20 (20.4). pp. 543-548. ISSN 2545-4439

[img]
Preview
Text
2159.pdf

Download (1567Kb) | Preview

Abstract

Schizophrenia is a psychiatric illness that is little known to the general population. Every day we are surrounded by people who more or less manifest symptoms of this disease, but we do not notice them because of the little knowledge about the disease. It is much more prevalent in everydays life than we think. Purpose: I want to present and analyze epidemiological data for the prevalence on this disease in the Psychiatric Hospital in Demir Hisar and in the Mental Health Center in Prilep, for the period between 2012-2016. Materials and Methods: For the realization of the goals is used descriptive epidemiological method. There are 2,974 hospital treated patients with schizophrenia in the Psychiatric hospital in Demir Hisar and 517 schizophrenic patients at the Mental Health Center in Prilep, for a period of five years (2012-2016 years). The processing of the data performed some statistical indicators and rates of the disease, and the data are presented in tables, graphs and diagrams. Results: Of the total number of patients treated at the Psychiatric Hospital in Demir Hisar, 48%have a diagnosis of schizophrenia, and the remaining 52% have some other psychiatric diagnosis. In Mental Health Center in Prilep, 62% of hospital-treated individuals are with schizophrenia as a diagnosis and only 38% have another psychiatric disorder. As far as age, the disease is most common between 41-50 years of age (total 994 patients in the two hospitals together at this age), while males are more frequently affected than females (2,433 males : 1058 females). Conclusion: Needs for hospital treatment of persons suffering from schizophrenia are the largest in terms of the needs for hospital treatment of persons with mental disorders. The disease can occur at any age in men and women, but often affected are middle-aged people between 41-50 years of age, primarily males. Keywords: psychiatric disorders, diagnosis, early detection, treatment .

Item Type: Article
Subjects: Medical and Health Sciences > Basic medicine
Medical and Health Sciences > Clinical medicine
Medical and Health Sciences > Other medical sciences
Divisions: Faculty of Medical Science
Depositing User: Gordana Panova
Date Deposited: 14 May 2018 09:37
Last Modified: 14 May 2018 09:37
URI: http://eprints.ugd.edu.mk/id/eprint/19990

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item