Subjective assessment for dental treatment needs among institutionalized elderly

Petrovski, Mihajlo and Minovska, Ana and Ivanovski, Kiro and Kovacevska, Ivona and Papakoca, Kiro (2016) Subjective assessment for dental treatment needs among institutionalized elderly. In: 21st Congress of the BaSS, Banja Luka, BIH. (Submitted)

[img]
Preview
Text
Abstract book of the 21st BaSS Congress-extended.pdf

Download (4Mb) | Preview
[img]
Preview
Text
poster-subjective.pdf

Download (751Kb) | Preview
Official URL: http://www.e-bass.org/21thcongress/

Abstract

Background: Among the adult population the need for dental care and certain preventive measures can be enhanced, especially among the oldest one. Among residents in long-term care institutions, in most cases in the oral cavity only a few teeth are left,and most of them have need of treatment. The goal was to evaluate the subjective need for dental treatment among institutionalized elderly. Material and method- this research was conducted in the "Mother Teresa" department, within the PHI Gerontology Institute "XIII-th of November" Skopje. All 73 institutionalized persons older than 65 years were examined. Adequate survey with appropriate questions subjective assessment for need of dental treatment was made among the institutionalized elderly. Results: 61.64% of respondents gave his subjective opinion that have need for dental intervention, while the remaining 38.36% from the institutionalized elderly people had no need for dental interventions. In terms of what kind of interventions, most needed treatment subjectively considered by the subject were different prosthetic activities (53.23%). Only one form the examined persons (1.61%) subjectively noted the need for treatment of gingival and periodontal diseases or need for checkup. Conclusion- The need for dental interventions among institutionalized elderly is high, with a predominance of different prosthetic interventions.

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Poster)
Subjects: Medical and Health Sciences > Basic medicine
Medical and Health Sciences > Clinical medicine
Medical and Health Sciences > Other medical sciences
Divisions: Faculty of Medical Science
Depositing User: Ana Minovska
Date Deposited: 29 Dec 2016 11:24
Last Modified: 29 Dec 2016 11:24
URI: http://eprints.ugd.edu.mk/id/eprint/16905

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item